Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

setting a pretty table

 I love to set my table with pretty things when my friends are coming.  I have one of those Duncan Phyfe drop leaf tables that with the leaves and drop leaves up will easily sit 14-16.  I start, as with everything around here by cleaning off the cat hair.  I then added this beautiful hand crocheted cloth my MIL made me years ago and bright yellow fabric as a runner.  The menu was Mexican so I wanted the table to be bright and cheery.  After I got about half way done setting the table I took off the yellow and ironed it, One of those things that really bug me.

As a center piece I filled six juice glasses with 2-3 stems each of different flowers from my garden.  It's been so hot and dry, it's getting harder to get flowers,
so using just a few stems in each glass  is a help. 
Plus you don't have to strain your neck to see over.
I added antique plates that I've collected for years. 
These were the kind of dishes you would have found in
a dime store in the 40's-50's.
 I then added cloth dark green napkins. I always check out the end on season sales for napkins and runners.  I got these after Christmas years ago for a quarter for 2 at Walmart.  I also have them in several other colors. They are all wash and wear so no ironing. I also like to mix the flat wear for added interest.  To finish the table I laid out the magnets and book marks for each of my friends to take home.  Just adding simple touches like these makes your guests feel welcomed.

To the right a close up of the dishes.  I think I have enough to serve about 25 people.  They do have to be washed by hand(sigh)
Below the finished table.

Last but most important were the guests.  The table was even more beautiful. when they arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment