Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

herb garden

 I enjoy my herb garden all year long.  It is not even 3 feet wide but it runs the entire length of my patio on the west side of our house, about 35'  It is just steps from the back door and mostly takes care of it's self.  I use the herbs mostly in cooking but also in bouquets and for drying.  When fall arrives I pot up the tender herbs and bring them inside.
Along with the two arborvitae that are almost tall enough to wear Christmas lights this year I grow an abundance of herbs.  These include, borage, basil, chive and garlic chives, lavender, comfrey,rosemary, sage, thyme, pineapple sage, parsley, cilantro, lemon verbena, fennel and oregano.  I plant the really invasive herbs like mint and lemon balm in another part of the garden.


Right borage, bush basil and thyme.


view from the back door along patio


fennel I'll dry the seed heads in the fall


basil with  thyme in the background


flat leaf parsley


wood flower for added color


guard bunny


view from the south end of the patio from my favorite swing

We added our patio and pergola three years ago.  We have a sun shade over the pergola so it's  shady until early afternoon.  It's a great place to take a break, visit with friends and enjoy a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment