Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

reveal part2

 Whoops! the pictures were behaving badly so I decided to do this in 2 parts.  The first picture is a little hint.  I always leave big pieces like this cabinet away from the wall a few inches.  You can use it for additional storage of pictures, frames or table leaves.  This is only away from the wall about 4"

The knock down cabinet has been moved and carefully so as not to destroy anything fitted with shelves inside.  I use it to store gift wrapping supplies, dishes and miscellaneous stuff.  The baskets on top were spray painted and hold linens.

This is the cabinet I use  to store most of my good china.  It's early turn of the century and holds a ton of stuff beautifully.

This is the small blanket chest that I painted earlier.  I've accessorized it with grunge painted candle sticks and a wooden box with a few pretty dishes and pictures.   still need to come up with art work for the wall above.   The doily was made by AH's grandma years ago.







So that's the room, I hope you like it.  Now for the grand total of what I spent.  $00.  That's right nothing.  Here's how I did it:  The wallpaper was a free cycle find, the paint was an extra full can that my parents had.  It was cream so I just added blue and green acrylic paint until I had the color I wanted.  The fabric was leftover from making  my mother's new window treatments.  My sister found it at a RS.  Everything else are things I already had.  I painted, stitched and re purposed all of it from my stash.  Yes I am a pack rat, it's genetic and addictive.  I also have a huge supply of craft and sewing supplies and plenty of decorative accessories.  Anybody could do this.  If you have a room you want to redo.  Make a plan, but keep your mind and your eyes open.  Hit the sales and thrift shops, always check the clearance racks.  Start by finding pictures in magazines or  on the Internet.  Pick up samples for paint, stain or flooring.  Keep a notebook of samples and measurments in your purse.  I use a zip top sandwich bag for each room I'm working on. Buy what you like when you find it otherwise it will probably be gone and don't be afraid to change what you don't like about a piece.  Paint is cheap and sewing is easy.  If you don't know how check the Internet or bribe a friend.  If you don't like something later you can always sell it at your own RS later, donate it or call me, I love a bargain.

Starting on the adjoining bathroom this morning.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment