Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

junk sign

 My kids know to never throw anything away without checking with me first.  This piece was the side light to a door son Ronnie was replacing.  I brought it home, cleaned it up, and got the caulk off. , I dampened news paper cut to size  and layed it on the the glass so I didn't have to tape.   Then I  painted 2 coats of outdoor black on both sides of the frame. I then applied a coat of matte Mod Podge on the side of the glass I was going to paint on, just to give  a little tooth to the surface. 
I printed the saying "Life began in a garden" , on my computer.  I cut and  taped the words together and working from the middle out, positioned the words on the back side of the glass.  The blue tape was where I wanted the bottom of most of my letters to be and is also on the wrong side.
After everything was in place I painted the letters with outdoor acrylic black paint.  When it was dry, I gave the words a second coat  Let all this dry overnight. This was before I had my Cricut.  Now I would just cut a stencil and make my life easier.
The next morning I applied 3 coats of Mod Podge.  That's what gives it the filmy look.  I probably will reapply this every spring to keep the paint from peeling.
AH used eye bolts and hooks to hang the sign from the cross beam of our pergola.  We thought chain would swing too much.  This thing is HEAVY so we used heavy duty hardware.  We really don't want anyone to get hit on the head.
The lesson here is taking a second or even third look at everything before you toss it in the trash. Or call me, I'm always looking for new projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment