Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

volunteering

Every year I am honored to help run a community program called Christmas is a Child.  Our tiny area has been hit hard by the downturn in the economy.  While the national percentage of people living at or below the poverty level is 14%, here it is 50%.  For five years now we have held a toy drive to help those in need each November.  Every year we are able to provide toys, gifts and gift cards to 100-125 kids in our area.  This takes and army of volunteers and huge open hearts to be able to continue.  While the final figures aren't in for this year, I'm sure we have served more than usual.  The wonderful helper elves give their time and money to make this program happen.  I couldn't be prouder to live in this little town.


The back of my van trip 4.



L-R Ellen,Dustin,Skyler,TJ, Doug, Lacy, Ms Williams and Marney.  Our senior English class that did all the writing and advertising this year.  
 


The Saturday elf patrol, sorry I forgot my camera to capture the Friday crowd.
The church had 13 tables brimming with gifts for all ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment