Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

old time laundry soap

No Pictures with this one.  As adventurous as I am, I don't want to try this recipe.  My Mom sent me this and the note  attached said she and my grandma made this frequently.
6# fat  melted in a large iron or enamel kettle and cooled to 80 degrees.
Combine 1 can of lye and 5C of cold water in an enamel pan and stir with a wooden paddle until dissolved.  Cool to 70 degrees.  Add graduallly to fat, stir until creamy then add 2T of borax, mix well.  Pour into molds.
 There is a note that says heavy cardboard boxes make good molds.  Cool without moving for 24 hours.  When firm remove from molds and cut into bars with string.  Let dry for 2 weeks before using.
I would guess you would grate this to do laundry.  Can you imagine the hours this took?  Making the stuff I do takes less than 5 minutes and is ready instantly.
Makes a big ol jug of Tide look pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment