Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Monday, March 18, 2013

faux grain bag fabric

I'm in the process of making a slip cover for my couch out of painters drop cloth.  It's a bunch of work but will give the living room a fresh new look when it's done.  Along with the slip cover I'm making pieces to cover the arms and sides where the kitties lay all the time.  I'm also making a couple of table runners and maybe a few dish towels.  Drop cloths are sturdy fabric that can be washed and bleached when they get dirty.  I spent $60.00 for two drop clothes, I like the brand from Menards better than from Lowes because it washes up softer.  I already had everything else I used.
Back to the main idea of the post.  I wanted some of the pieces I'm making to look like grain sacks so this is how I did it.  I cut the washed fabric adding 2" for hems.  I pressed each article and laid out my pattern on scratch paper.  I then made pencil marks where each line went.  Using a steel yard stick and Bic fine line permanent markers, I drew the lines coloring in the wider lines.  I think they turned out great.  I had tried this project using acrylic paints and  fabric additive but I didn't like the stiff feeling of the fabric.
With many real grain bags selling on the Internet for over $50.00 I'm loving how much money I'm saving.  Yes you will be able to tell they aren't real up close, but your looking that close you are just being too darn nosy.



No comments:

Post a Comment