Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring is coming

I always get excited when I see the seed displays and planting materials show up in the stores.  It means I can soon be out playing in the dirt.  To hold me over until Illinois weather catches up with my spring fever I start a few flats of flowers in the house and when it gets a little warmer I put them in cold frames outside.  This year I have allysum, snap dragons, marigolds, coxcomb, herbs, zinnias and a few perennials already planted.  Next I'll start tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and more herbs.  My kitchen looks like a greenhouse but it is the only room that has enough light and warmth to the get the seeds started.  I sow the seeds heavily and pull out the excess plants to put in other trays when they get a little older.  I spend about $50 each spring for seeds, soil and peat trays.  It probably saves me at least $200-$300 versus buying plants.  I generally have enough to share with friends.  Now I always buy a few plants that don't grow well from seeds or they look too beautiful to pass up.  That's the curse of being a gardener, there is always room for one more flat of flowers somewhere in your garden.

In just one week this is zinnias sprouted and growing.  Use craft sticks  and permanent markers to  let you know what you have planted they all look the same at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment