Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

fitted jacket

I almost never sew clothes for myself, but this turned out so cute I may have to make a couple more.
I've seen several jackets made out of sweatshirts on the web lately but I wanted something a little more upscale and fitted.  It was a simple project and took very little time.
You need 1 pullover sweatshirt 1 size larger than you would normally wear
Cut off the cuffs, bottom band and neck band
Mark with chalk and cut straight up the front of the shirt, using a plate add a curve to the bottom of each edge
Slip the jacket on inside out and have a friend place pins at each side to nip in the middle and form darts in the back and the front if necessary
Stitch in the darts and sides.  My sweat shirt did not have side seams so I started at the seam of the sleeve and sewed down to the bottom of the side  in a gradual curve to the narrowest point and back out at the bottom.
Once you are happy with the fit fold under the raw edges 1/2" and top stitch around the sleeves and the body of the jacket.  You could add a button to the top or middle of the front as a closure.  I'll probably use a pin.
No model again and the dog refused to take my picture, so you'll just have to take my word for it that the fit is great and the jacket is cute enough to wear to work if your place is more casual.



darts in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment