Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

rock candy

Rock candy is a treat from my childhood that still tastes great.  I needed some rock candy to make my Grandfathers cough syurp recipe, it's called Jessie James Cure All and you can find it under recipes on this bolg.,and didn't want ot drive anywhere to get it.  I decided to make my own and it was really easy.  Now if I can just keep AH out of t long enough to make the cough syurp.
3 1/2C sugar
1 1/2C corn syurp
1C water
1C powdered sugar
1-2 tsp flavoring oil I used cinnamon in one batch peppermint in the other
food coloring
Put the sugar, corn syurp and water in a pan, bring to a boil and stir constantly until the sugar disolves.  Stop stiring and cook until it reaches 300-310 degrees on a thermometer
While the syurp is cooking line a cookie sheet with sides with a double layer of foil and spread on 1C of powdered sugar evenly.

When the syurp reaches the correct temperature put in flavoring oil and food coloring, mix and pour on to prepared tray.  Let cool and break into small pieces( I used a hammer with a paper towel on top of the candy) store in an air tight container with all the extra powdered sugar..

No comments:

Post a Comment