Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

secret stash box

If I don't hide candy when I bring it home from the store, AH will snarf it down within 48 hours.  To make the treats last I come up with some pretty clever ways to hide the stash.  This candy box use to be one of those places, but he's on to me now.
Apple gourds can be found in most places that grow pumpkins and gourds as well as on line.  If it isn't dried you'll have to dry it until next year.  Scrub up the gourd and remove all the dead skin.  let dry.  Mark a line about 2-3" down from the top and cut off the lid.  AH used the table saw to cut this one but you could use a band saw, coping saw or hand saw.  Empty the contents and wipe out the dust.  Save the seeds if you want to plant your own gourds next year.  Pour in paint and brush around to cover.  Give the outside 2-3 coats of paint and spray with clear sealer. You could also add a name or phrase before sealing   Line up the top and bottom of your apple and make a mark with pencil where you want your hinge to be.  Cut a small about 11/2"X1" piece of leather, vinyl or heavy fabric and glue one side to the top and one to the bottom on the inside of the gourd..  I did this one side at a time and let it dry before attaching the strip to the other side.  I used E6000 and held the vinyl in place with duct tape until dry.  Fill with goodies and enjoy.  I've given several of these to teacher friends of mine and they love them on their desks for treats, prizes, pencils or general storage.


No comments:

Post a Comment