Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

summer pasta salad

My family loves this pasta salad, it's healthy and filling and makes a huge batch.  I don't make it unless we are haveing a bunch of company.  It is the recipe my family and friends request the most often.
Here's what you need:

1# box of whole grain pasta.  I use rotini or penne.
cook according to directions, rinse and cool.
4 chicken breasts cooked and cooled, just boil em and cut into 1" chunks.
1# of baked ham.  I just have the deli cut about a 1# chunk and then cut it into pieces myself.  Shaved deli ham will just get lost in the salad .
1 lg cucumber
2 lg tomatoes
1/2 of a sweet onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1 16oz can green beans
1 16oz can black olives
8oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4-1/2C cider vinegar
1/4-1/2C olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Cut the vegies and cheese into about 1/2" pieces, drain the olives and beans.
Dump everything into a huge bowl except the vinegar and oil.  I usually mix the V+O in a cup befor pouring over the salad.  If I'm feeling very Barefoot Contessa , I'll add fresh chopped parsley and sweet paprica to brighten it up.  Mix it all together and  if it looks a little dry add about 1/4C water.  You don't want it to be too runny.
Just plop the bowl in the middle of the table with hot rolls or bread and get out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment