Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

junking bonanza



 
I recently spent the week in the big city.  I was helping my parents get settled in their new home.  Lots of hard work but I did manage to check out a few garage sales and hauled a huge pile of my folks stuff home.  A junkers version of a fabulous time.  One of the RS was in a very affluent neighborhood and they just wanted to get rid of things for fantastically low prices.  Made my heart go pitty-pat, made AH growl.  My van was so full there was barely room for me and the dog.  A lot of it will go to a mission here in town that provides everything for free.  Check out the pics.   There was a small box filled with these great brass flowers and silver leaves, there are a couple of different sizes but the ones in the pic are 2-3".  There are probably a hundred of each and a couple of other sizes maybe 20 of each.  All for $1.00.
Any ideas of what to do with them?
This next photo is how it all landed in my sun room after I got home.  Most of the mission stuff had been put back into my car for delivery.  There is a pewter lamp, a tote full of wood spindles, glass ware, a mirror, a marble pedestal, boxes of velcro, faux fruit, a quilt, tons of bedding and other treasures too numerous to mention.  All totaled I spent $42.. at the sales a fortune compared to what I normally spend, but what a haul.

The next picture are more of the sale treasures.
The drawing is a signed and dated print from an artist named Robert Sexton, a similar drawing sold on EBay recently for $169, I snagged this one for $3.00.  That's AH and I, 20 years from now.  The flat box is filled with long crystals 8 boxes 10 per box $5.00.  The quilt was made by my Mom and the colors fit great with my guest room redo. 
The large baking pan was handmade by my grandfather years ago.  He was a junker and crafter at heart.  He could fix and make almost anything.  He even made his own cough syrup every year.  It may not have stop the cough but it had enough Everclear in it to make you not care that you were sick.  I need to get that r4edipe from my Mom before winter.
I love to thrift shop and go to garage sales.  You never know what you will find.  There's a new treasure waiting around every corner, you just have to open your mind and eyes to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment