Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

welcome sign

I saw a sign in the background of a picture in a magazine and wanted to adapt it for a naked corner by my garage.  Here's what you'll need:

2 1x8 6 feet   ask your local lumberyard, many will cut boards for you free or for a very small charge
1 1x8 5 feet
3 1x2 14 inches
13 11/4" dry wall screws
paint in your choice of colors
carbon paper
spray sealer

Sand your boards especially on the ends, do this lightly just to get the rough stuff off.
Paint the two long boards one color the third board a contrasting color let dry.



Print out letters in the font of your choice on the computer  measure first to make sure the letters will fit.
Draw a light pencil line both vertically and horizontaly in the center of the single board.line up your letters starting in the middle and transfer using the carbon paper  If you have a cutting machine  you could use vinyl or if the sign will be inside you could use paper.  (sigh) I don't have one so I painted my letters in with acrylics.  Let every thing dry several hours and erase pencil marks.  Sorry I didn't get a good picture of this.  Please send any hints for good photography, I need all the help I can get.


Lay the two background boards flat face down and attach the 1x2's evenly spaced using drywall screws, just eye ball this don't make yourself crazy.  If you don't have screws use glue and nails.
Center the board with the word on it on the front of the two boards, measure carefully this time, and attach.  I marked mine top and bottom on the back and the front with pencil first.
Now the rest is up to you.  You can seal this with 3 coats of sealer and you're done.  Or if you like things to look old and beat up sand the fronts and edges to make them look worn.  Water down about 1 tablespoon of burnt umber acrylic paint with water til it looks like ink.  Brush on to the sign, wipe off with paper towels until you like the look.  Finish with spray sealer.
If you wanted to hang your sign you could attach two heavy duty picture hangers to the back.

ENJOY your beautiful new sign.  I think I'll do our name next, maybe horizontally.  Stay tuned.


If there is an empty place I always want to fill it up.
I think the sign fills that empty corner very well.  YEA!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment