Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Monday, March 10, 2014

star burst mirror


This was the final touch I wanted to make for our bedroom redo.  I've loved these mirrors for ages, even though I'm not a fan of mid-century modern or contemporary furnishings.  I think it turned out great and cost $11 because I didn't have a coupon for the big mirror.
I started by gluing two different sizes of wooden skewers cut to different lengths to a 5" circle of black foam core.  I went heavy on the Tacky glue and let that dry overnight.  I then had to wait several days for it to be warm enough to spray paint the piece silver.  I glued another 5" circle over the skewers for a little more stability.  On the back I glued a 2" square of the foam core with a wire formed into a loop pushed through as a hanger.  The final step was gluing on the little mirrors.  I had 75-90 1/2", 3/4", and 1" mirrors and just started placing them randomly.  I have a mirror on every stick and some have two.  I used contact cement to glue and if the mirrors wanted to slide I held them in place with scotch tape until they dried for 24 hours.  AH had the hard job of getting it centered on the wall and hung.


No comments:

Post a Comment