Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Friday, July 26, 2013

OOPS I did it again

As with every thing in my life, I'm always making mistakes.  Since I believe you learn more from your mistakes than your successes I ought to be the smartest person in town.  No such luck.
 I started this up-cycled tin can project to use as a vase for a wedding shower I was going to be providing flowers for.  Of course I wanted it to be soft, pretty and romantic.  I clean and removed the label from the cans and sponged painted two coats of white, ivory and cream acrylic paint.  Mistake one, I didn't let it dry overnight and I didn't spray on a coat of clear sealer, a necessity on metal or the paint will scratch right off.
Redo.
The first layer was burlap which I thought would be fine just tacked on with the glue gun.  It wouldn't lay flat.
Redo  Mod Podge to the rescue.
The second layer was strips of scrap book paper. The  first can strips were 2", perfect.  The second can was 4", not perfect.  It would not lay flat and was lumpy and ugly.  Peel it all off.
Redo.
I cut two different 2' strips and glued those onto the burlap.  That worked.
The rest of the project went OK with the exception of the fabric roses.  Usually I hand stitch these but decided the glue gun would work as well.  No redo, just a couple of burnt fingers and plenty of grumbling. Maybe a bad word or two was uttered, but the cats won't tell.

The cans turned out great, the flowers were beautiful, the shower was lovely and the bride to be was thrilled.  That alone was worth some aggravation and a few do-overs.





No comments:

Post a Comment