Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

mason jar solar lights

These have been all over the Internet and when I found the hooks I knew I needed to make them for my front walk.  They are beautiful at night.
1 Mason Jar along with ring and flat lid
1 small solar light I got mine at Walmart for .98
E6000 glue or you could try hot glue
sturdy wire we used fence wire
shepherds hook for hanging

Take you light apart all you need is the top solar part.  Make a pattern on card stock or paper the size of the solar panel.  This one was about 11/4" Draw around the pattern onto the flat metal lid
Cut the lid with a utility knife or hammer and chisel, it will take several passes to cut through the metal. Beware the edges will be sharp.  Glue the top onto the inside of the lid, avoid getting glue on the solar panel.  Attach the ring and lid to the jar.  You can use the plastic diffuser piece that comes with the light or not, I like the look without it.
Cut a piece of wire long enough to go around the jar top two times plus enough to make the loop for hanging.  Wrap around the jar, make your loop and twist the ends together. Clip the ends and bend in so no one gets scratched. Hang on your hook, be sure to remove the little tab on the light that turns it on first.  With out the hanging loop they make great lanterns to sit around in the evening.
The light will eventually burn out,  When burnout happens, open the jar and use a thin knife or blade to pop the solar light off the lid and glue on a new one.
We have had lots of rain here and plenty of heat so I'm getting some condensation in the jars.  If that happens just open and dump out the water.
I used six up my front walk on hooks about 21/2-3 feet tall




No comments:

Post a Comment