Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

wreath making

Making a  wreath of almost any material follows the same basic procedures.
Here's what you need:
Wreath frame, stiff wire  or a hanger pulled into a circle.  You can but a wreath frame at any place that sells craft supplies.  I use these if I'm making a heavy evergreen or pine cone wreath otherwise go for the free hangers.I
Tie wire 18ga
Wire cutters
Materials to make the wreath with.  Flowers, branches, herbs, evergreens all work well.  I like
to work with fresh materials and let them dry.  You just have to pack them a little tighter to allow for shrinkage.You can also buy dried grasses in bunches at the craft store.

Form the hanger into a circle or bend straight wire into a circle form and secure ends together.  Leave a tail of tie wire about 4" long



Start adding bundles of material, wrapping the tie wire tightly.  So tight it makes your hands hurt to do it.


continue adding bundles of materials overlapping the ends and continue until you go completely around the circle.  Hide the ends of the last few bundles under the first few you put on.  Here I'm using sage, but you could use a mix of herbs for cooking.  Make sure you cover the hook of the hanger or cut it off and wrap the ends of the wires together


Here's the finished wreath.  This one is artemesia.  I'll lay it flat to dry for a few days before hanging it on my front door.  I may add a bow or some berries for added color.
OK I confess.  I made the artemesia wreath without even thinking about taking pics for the blog.  I took the how to pics  with herbs after the wreath was on the door.  BAD blogger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment