Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

home made laundry soap

Sorry there are no pictures with this one.  KC gave me my first batch in a Ziploc box and white powder is just not that exciting to look at.
I don't know about you but I'm always looking for less toxic and cheaper ways to do everyday things.  My friend and business partner gave me this recipe for laundry soap.  It's low cost and you use just 1-2 tablespoons per load, making a batch go a long way.
Here's what you need:
1 bar Ivory soap buy it at the dollar store 3 for $1.00  Grate this on your box grater on the small side, it should look like Parmesan cheese when you're done.
1C borax 20 mule team borax is the one I've seen the most.  You can buy this at places like Walmart, Rural King or Farm and Fleet
1C washing soda she  used Arm and Hammer and purchased it at Rural King and I've seen it at Walmart.  You could add a couple of drops of essential oil if you just have to have scent.  Grate Ivory soap finely and add the soda and borax.  Store in an air tight container.  Use 1-2T per load.
AH gets his clothes supper greasy and grimy at work and this works great.
For the price of $1.38 for 32-64 loads that works out to 2-4 cents per load.  I know it's a whole lot cheaper that regular laundry detergent and much less toxic.
This is a great detergent for the newer high efficiency front load washers, it is very low sudsing.
Just keep it in a plastic container with lid and a tablespoon for measuring. 
But wait I can hear you screaming, what about fabric softener?  You have a few choices here the most economical being 1/4C of white vinegar in your softener cup of your washer or use it in a spray bottle and give the load a few squirts when you pop it into the dryer
I don't think doing laundry will ever qualify as fun in my book but doing it cheaply certainly does.

No comments:

Post a Comment