Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Monday, September 19, 2011

transformed gourds

I have a lot of people that ask me about the abundance of gourds that I display in the fall both inside and out.  Each year I start gourd seedlings and then give them to friends who plant them, water, weed and harvest them.  Some years we have an abundant crop, some years not so much.  The first year I just display the gourds as is.  Before freezing weather I put them in the attic to dry clear until the next fall.  Clean them up and paint them so they look real.  Easy.  i think I have 3 full garbage bags of them now.  I do give a lot of them away.


fresh gourds, not sure what kind, probably a mutant


Dry them for a year in a warm dry place that will not freeze.  When they come out they will be gross, covered in white fuzz, black gunk and dried skin.  They are suppose to look like this.  Discard any gourds that are cracked or broken.







Soak them for a couple of hours in a bucket or sink, turning every so often.  Scrape the gunk off.  I use the side of a spoon, paring knife and scrubie pad.  This is long hard work.  Each gourd can take 30-60 mniutes to clean.   Let them dry.



Use acrylic paint to base coat and add details.  It will take several coats to blend colors together.  If you don't like it cover it up with more paint.  In your world if you want them purple or black paint em that color.








Continue to add details until you're happy.  Let dry and then spray with sealer.  Store them for the next fall in a warm dry place.


No comments:

Post a Comment