Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

washing a washing machine

Did you know you need to wash out your washing machine at least twice a year?  Yeah, me neither.  Although I've always wiped off the top and controls I've never given my machine a good bath until one of my favorite sweaters came out of the wash covered with grease spots.  Yuck, I love this sweater and I'm not happy.  I did a little research and found a recipe for cleaning out a washer.  Clean out any visible gunk with a mix of Dawn and baking soda on a scrubby pad.(see note below on homemade spot cleaner)  The agitator and under the tub rim were gross. Fill the washer with hot water along with one quart of bleach and let it sit for one hour.  At this point the water was black.  Drain and refill with hot water, one quart of vinegar and two cups of baking soda.  Let this sit for one hour, drain and wipe out any visible slime.  This water was dingy grey. Run the washer empty for it's longest cycle, again with hot water.  You need to do this at least twice a year more if you wash a lot of greasy clothes.
I guess with a husband who gets really grimy at work it makes sense that some of that gunk would stay in the washer, but now I've got the cleanest machine in town.  Now if I can just get the spots out of my sweater.




PS:  I treated the sweater with homemade spot cleaner of 1C baking soda, 2C Dawn and 1C water.  I just mix everything in an old Dawn bottle and keep by the washer.  You do need to shake well before use.  The sweater came out without a single grease spot.  YEA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment