Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Monday, April 22, 2013

lasagna garden

When I told people I was planting a lasagna garden, everyone of then assumed I was doing tomato  basil, fennel, you know lasagna things.  Nope it is a layered raised bed full of compost, manure, dried materials and top soil.  The raised bed and supper enriched soil is supposed to be a great place to plant that isn't compacted and is full of nutrients.  It's a lot of heavy lifting and a little pricey the first yea, but if it works it should be wonderful.  Here's what you do;  Mark off the approximate size of your bed.  I did mine 8X8 so I can reach in from all sides and not have to walk on the soil.  The first layer is cardboard or several layers of newspaper, just lay it right on the ground.  Layer two is dried material, I used leaves.  Layer three is green material.  I had plant clippings and weeds along with a couple of bags of manure.  You then repeat the layers until the whole thing is about 18-24" tall, ending with top soil.  Water well and let sit for a time before planting.  It's suppose to rain tomorrow so I'll leave that to mother nature.  It will be Mothers Day before I plant tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and zucchini   I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.  I understand this works even better if you do it in the fall and it can sit all winter.






No comments:

Post a Comment