Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Epic fail

Sometime things that seem like a good idea just don't work the way they should and you have to come up with plan B, or C, or D.  That's what happened with this bracelet.  I had been wanting to try a project with alcohol inks but the cost to just get started held me off.  Then I found a recipe for homemade alcohol inks made with kool aid and rubbing alcohol.  I bought a few packages mixed them with the alcohol according to the directions and gave it a try.  A big clumpy mess developed and after several layers, little color could be seen on the bracelet.  As my kids would say EPIC FAIL.  I pitched the mess, washed off the bracelet and started over again.  First I sprayed the cuff with metal primer then dribbled, sponged, finger painted and dabbed acrylic paints until I was happy with the look. I used burgundy, two different golds and ivory paints After the paint was dry I added 3 coats of clear sealer.  I've received many compliments on the bracelet, not bad for starting as a failure.  The picture doesn't really do justice to the soft glow and the mix of colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment