Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

painting kitchen cabinets

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets.  They've been white for years and  they are a pain to keep clean.  They have to be scrubbed at least weekly. YUCK!!
I'm still mulling colors around in my mind so I did a couple of tests.  I'm not overjoyed with either color yet.  The black has a red undercoat, when I sanded it I went through the red to the white coat.  Besides it seems to suck the light out of the room.  The cream is not quite enough of a contrast and looks almost as hard to keep clean.  I do like the look of the black peeking through. 
A friend suggested the black and red undercoat with darker ivory/tan as the top color.  Decisions, decisions.




I bought this tray as an inspiration for the colors of the cabinets.  It's not really this yellow and I love it's chippy old look.

I'll get some more paint chips and keep experimenting.  I use acrylics for my tests so its cheap to try new combinations before I commit to regular paint.
What projects are you planning this winter?Am I the only one that gets in the mood for change after the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment