Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Monday, February 24, 2014

citrus cleaner

I'm always on the look out for greener ways to do household chores.  Ask anyone who knows me well and they will tell you I DON'T LIKE TO CLEAN!!!!  I do however want a reasonably clean and tidy home, so you do what you gotta do.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try.
Start with a gallon milk jug and throw in any citrus peels, sour oranges etc covering with white vinegar.  In a short time you'll have a gallon of wonderful smelling citrus cleaner.  Add a few drops of tea tree oil if you want it to be antimicrobial. I let the full jug sit for 2 weeks then I strained out 2C into a spray bottle to use for cleaning and filled the jug back up with more vinegar.  As we collect more citrus scraps, left over lemon or lime after you squeeze them, orange peels, grapefruit rinds, cut them up small enough to fit in the jug and top with more vinegar.  When the fruit looses it's color, toss the spent fruit on your compost pile and start a new batch.  This cleaner is especially good on wood furniture, counters and greasy surfaces, not so great on windows.


No comments:

Post a Comment