Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Food pantry

All most every town has a food pantry to help those in need.  It amazes me that our little town provides food and necessities for dozens of people each month.  Although the Christmas season helps fill up the shelves, by the time the holidays are over the shelves are bare again.  The things that most pantries run short of are not food but the paper and personal goods they can not get at the food banks and most people don't think of donating.  People on food stamps can't use the stamps for non food purchases like toilet paper, soap or shampoo.  One of the easiest ways I've found to help is to pick up 3-6 things each time I go to the store. It doesn't add much to the bill and by the end of the month you have a nice contribution to give.  Also consider giving your time.  I know ever time I work at our local pantry I come away blessed.  A recent study I read says the average American family could only go six weeks without a pay check before they would need the services of a food pantry. Scary, you bet.
This is a list of the non perishable things food pantries are always short of
Toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, bleach, dish soap, feminine products, bath soap, hand lotion, razors, shampoo, conditioner, tooth paste, tooth brushes.
I'm sure I've missed some items.  GIVE, GIVE GIVE you will receive so much more in return.
If you grow a garden contact your local pantry, most would love to have fresh produce to give, so plant an extra roll or two for just that.


No comments:

Post a Comment