Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Monday, October 28, 2013

paint technique

Several people have asked me how I did the painting on the fan blade dragon fly I made recently, so I thought I'd show how I did it.
I cleaned off the fan blades to remove dust and dirt.
I took dental floss and wound it around the blades several times.
The base coat was an aqua latex out door paint I've used on several of my garden and patio projects.
After the paint dried over night I used a dark green, copper and gold metallic acrylic paint.  I dipped my fingers into the paint one color at a time and tapped my finger tips onto the blades.  I started with the dark green then the gold and copper.  I worked quickly wet paint on wet paint so the colors would blend into each other.  After the paint was dry, I went back and touched up a few uneven or sparse places.
I let the paint dry several hours then sprayed with a clear sealer.
I wouldn't put this directly outside but will put mine on a window under a soffit, so it is protected a little.



No comments:

Post a Comment