Pages

Welcome

Thanks for stopping by My Vintage Cottage. It's filled with recipes, decorating ideas, junking, crafting and garden projects.I hope you enjoy what you find and come back often.
A special thanks to justsomethingimade for the header.

Friday, August 15, 2014

black shelf

Last time I told you how we made the shutter shelf project.  The black weathered wood unit was made the same way except for the finish.  To make this look  I first primed all the pieces except the top with grey spray  primer.  After the two coats of primer were dry I mixed a little black paint into white until I had a shade a little darker than the primer.  I dry brushed that on all the pieces.  If you have never used the dry brush technique the name defines how to do it.  Dip your brush tips into the paint, brush most of it off onto news paper, then brush onto the wood.  After the first coat was dry I did another with black paint.  I wanted a wood grain look so I was careful to drag the brush all the way down each piece before lifting my brush.  It sounds much more difficult than it really is.  Just be patient(unlike me) and if you don't like it, paint over it.  I painted the top black.  It is much easier to paint all the pieces before you put it together.  I think it turned out great.


No comments:

Post a Comment